25 May 2009

FIRST ASSIGNMENT

I studied in Paris at l'Ecole des Gobelins, Paris, after passing my BA of Theory and Practice of Art at la Sorbonne Paris1. I was a bit fed up with teenagers aiming to be artists, they would put more effort in trying hard to look arty than actually work hard, and the teachers would encourage us in being nice proper applicants to the Art world with the whole kit of answers and tricks. I was quite disillusioned and wanted to do something a bit more practical. It was too much talking and not enough action. I had two options: pass the exam in Arles school in south of France or stay in Paris at the Gobelins. I thought going away would have been a good experience but unfortunately Arles was once again very conceptual and art base, I wanted to learn some crafts. I would have plenty of time later for concepts. I therefore passed the exam in Paris.

Les Gobelins was a good platform as it is founded partly by private investors and it is part of the Chamber of Commerce of Paris. I knew a lot of people from all around the World would pass the exam. I also knew that my chances were thin as maths and physics were my very very weak points, but I had passion and some knowledge for Photography. And somehow when it came to optical problems I could actually understand quite naturally what it was all about. Anyway, still, the school would only take 15 students in the studio department, and 15 students in the darkroom. Well, I had nothing to loose, I went there with my friend Eric from the University, tried my best, and straight after went to the Dynamo Festival in Holland to chill out. 2 or 3 weeks later, we received the results and we were both accepted. Hourrah !

That was in 1995 the first year or the two years program was dedicated to black and white. We had every month one particular subject to photograph, and many others to develop and process in the darkroom at the same time. Eventually near summer we were asked to do a wedding. You would have seen most faces - boring! I didn't really care. For me it was instinctively Reportage and meeting people. The only trouble was that I didn't know anyone who was getting married. Never mind, I took my FM2, a 50mm, a 35mm, a 285 Vivitar flash, some rolls Ilford 100 delta and headed to the town hall in search of a wedding. My first attempt was a lucky one. People were gathering and waiting for the bride. I was very excited but also very anxious. I thought I couldn't really make it just like that. I was an outsider, unknown from the audience. I spotted the official photographer and asked him if he would let me join him in his commission. He was unsurprisingly quite suspicious. But behind his grumbling attitude he accepted and asked me to remain discreet. He would tell them I was his assistant if they were to ask. I therefore photographed as an official and would gather amongst families with fear and joy at the same time. I shot pictures with my flash next to the registrar facing them, while signing, same at the church. I actually still don't know how people did let me to do it without complaining or asking.

At one point during the religious ceremony the bride looks at me and you can tell that she is wondering who on earth is this guy at my wedding ?! I felt strongly that gaze but kept on shooting throughout the service. I had to do it to build strength and confidence. After the church, I felt I had to leave. Right then the official photographer grabbed me and asked me to swear that I would not sell them any of my pictures. That was quite funny and touching from this old man. I didn't know if I actually managed to get some decent shots. Also, I had to use my mum's flash which I barely knew how to use. Just those two hours experience drained me out. My adrenalin was fading away, I felt like empty. I really though at that time I just lived something intense as an observer, challenger and recorder, but I didn't really envisage I would do that years later for a living. It was too much to cope with. What I really remember is the generosity from that photographer who helped me with my school's assignment without even knowing my name. I would also always remember and thank immensely this couple for letting a stranger photographing their wedding. If you are by any chance reading those lines, do not hesitate to contact me to get some prints. I would be a tremendous pleasure to give you what belongs to you. Without you my life may have been quite different. My deepest gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment